Thursday, February 25, 2010

Beware of Dog

Your Humble Correspondent from the Ninth Circle of Hell—otherwise known as Wall Street—is quite chuffed to have received the Good Housekeeping seal of approval from David Weidner at The Wall Street Journal today. Mr. Weidner kindly saw fit to include my tiny, obscure little hobbyist soapbox in a list of “Ten Wall Street Blogs You Need To Bookmark Now,” along with such blogging legends as Barry Ritholtz, Yves Smith, and some scurrilous yellow journalists I have never heard of.

At first, I was excessively pleased to discover TED ranked #5 on the list, ahead of such wacko … er, pageview magnets as Zero Hedge, but then I realized it was in alphabetical order. Whatever renown this blog may or may not have achieved, it certainly cannot be laid at the feet of numerical popularity. I expect almost every other blogger on Mr. Weidner’s list gets more visitors and page hits in an hour than this site has seen in its entire three-plus years of existence.

Oh well, TED continues to rank #1 in the only measure that really matters: the Most Widely Respected Finance Blog that No-one Ever Reads.

* * *

During the mercifully brief period in which thousands of unwashed masses unsuspecting victims flood to these pages for the first (and probably last) time, however, I suppose I should extend some sort of grudging welcome and a brief introductory tour. This being the internet, and Mr. Weidner not being the first respected public figure to have maliciously directed his hapless readers to this site out of some sort of twisted spite, I happily have a canned introduction ready to hand. It is listed to your left (no, your other left) under the link entitled

Introduction

Read it, study it, and be ready for a pop quiz next Wednesday. Or else.

* * *

In closing, I would like to make three observations.

First, this is not the first time that Your Dedicated Bloggist’s labors have been recognized by the Great and Good among the punditry. The most notable such accolade has to be TED’s inclusion in Felix Salmon’s map of the “Econoblogosphere,” which he compiled when he was blogging at Portfolio.com a couple of years ago. Notwithstanding the creative destruction endemic to the internet and the consequent disappearance of several of the blogs Felix mentioned, this list remains a surprisingly good and current entry point for blog-centric discussion of the broader economic sphere. It remains a valuable resource for those among you who might hanker for a broader view of the real economy outside the rank echo chamber which is Wall Street. I encourage you to explore it.

Second, while these encomia from the fourth estate really do tickle Your Underappreciated Curmudgeon’s fancy, I must admit I receive the greatest psychic pleasure from the screams, insults, and oaths directed at me from the various personalities I eviscerate for your amusement in these pages. There is nothing I like better than to receive a blistering email or a typo-laden restraining order from one of the Great and Good who has fallen under my lens. Among all the plaudits I have received for my work, there are none I cherish more than having Steve Schwarzman, Lloyd Blankfein, or some gormless economist shriek in frustration

“Who the fuck is this asshole?!”

It warms the cockles of my icy heart.

Finally and lastly, I did note with alarm that Mr. Weidner failed to do an adequate job dampening speculation about Your Resolutely Secretive Scrivener’s true identity when he illustrated his online piece with a bit of playful video banter. This identity, for those of you who do not know, is a secret so vile, so sinister, and so unfucking-likely-to-ever-be-revealed-in-this-century-or-the-next that Mr. Weidner and his fellow journalists might as well try to discover the true identity of the person who wrote Hamlet. In other words, it ain’t gonna fuckin’ happen. (And yes, I did write Hamlet.)

I already have ace investigative Twitterer Heidi N. Moore on my ass, digging through my garbage for revealing clues, Mr. Weidner. I don’t need you or any more of your MSM colleagues helping her out. Just drop it.

Besides, what do you think I paid you that $10,000 “advisory fee” for in the first place?

© 2010 The Epicurean Dealmaker. All rights reserved.